Saturday, June 16, 2012

Aftermath

My time to take some time off the corporate IT world...i was wondering how the farm has looked after the week long flooding.

it's been two weeks, no maybe three or even about a month since i visited the farm. it has been raining all this time. Anyway, the last i know, our palay seedlings were almost ready for replanting before Juaning came. Neighboring rice fields have been planted and now all back to ground zero. It’s a mess actually and the land has not even fully dried. What could I expect? it’s the rainy season! Despite the circumstances, I’d still need to push my fish pen project. Being in one of Camarines Sur’s basin areas is not easy…. We have just spent over two thousand in land and seedlings preparation for the planting season only to get flushed during the flooding. Should my family be investing in this kind of business for added income, this can’t be going on for the long time! Well, this has been the challenge from before and is handed to my generation… but there has to be some learning from them which needed some evolution in my time.

 I can’t be blaming climate change or some other reasons – blah, blah, blah… for this. The name of the game is resilience – to avoid extinction! The world is always in a spin for change, what less could one expect? Dooms day is coming…or some say judgment day?! WTF! Yeah, kinda believed it once (way back my seminary days!), but coming to think of it –it’s been a thought for how many millennium? Even before the Christian age, they’ve already been contemplating on it to a point of wiping out their civilization in anticipation. For what? Well maybe for us to read and stipulate about their history – or must I say more appropriately – their so called story…

Going back… as they are stripping off excess fish cages in known Camarines Sur lakes of Buhi and Bato, I thought it to be an opportunity to be refurbishing some of their equipment and build small scale fish pens in extremely low lying rice fields here in Camaligan. Of course that is a ridiculously crazy new thing which even my father took some time to digest… this may not be the hype very soon but hope to be in the coming years. I have started it and I’m on the sixth month of making baby steps to the project… It’s just been made easier to procure fish nets due to the series of fish kills in Laguna and Batangas that they started removing excess cages in major lakes (maybe nationwide…not just so sure). We’ve found a very good supplier of plastic barrels. Bamboo prices…I don’t know but I have raised the capital to buy them… the fish nets are ready to be sewn… Pond excavation is half-way done (knowing that this is just the second day of working on it –good job!) I’m crossing my fingers to be hatching the first fingerlings by the end of this month… or maybe early of September…

Well, I’m having a nice break from the monotony of network issues, workstation movements and allocations, repairs and so on…

posted first from my Facebook Notes last August 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment